Enabling Capabilities Department - Nuclear Data Science Post-Doctoral Fellow
The Nuclear Data Science Post-Doctoral Fellow will support applied research and development at the Defense Threat Reduction Agency’s (DTRA) Enabling Capabilities Department (EC) within the DTRA Research and Development Directorate (RD). The Post-Doctoral Fellow will report to the Science Division Chief and research managers for the Science Division (RD-ECS), and be assigned a Mentor within RD-ECS. The work conducted will help advance knowledge of detection and characterization of potential nuclear activities using advanced techniques of data science to search for signatures of interest. This position focuses on concepts to develop methods that employ any observables available. For example (but not limited to!) visual appearance, patterns of activity, chemical traces.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with DTRA/RD-EC management and leadership
- Investigate scientific or technological areas of interest under guidance of a Mentor
- This is not exclusively a bench research position -some activities are focused on support of research program management
- Assist in the development of research topics in this area
- Assist in evaluation of research findings, and portfolio activities
- Assist in the management of research investments
- Flexibility at learning and reviewing concepts beyond a narrow specialty
- Willingness to travel to other work locations for up to two months per year
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Knowledge in areas of data science, artificial intelligence
- Modeling and simulation; machine learning; data mining; big data
- Strong mathematical coursework
- Willingness to apply knowledge to other disciplines; e.g., nuclear science
- Evidence of depth of analytical thinking
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Candidates must have a Ph.D. or equivalent in nuclear physics or forensics, electrical engineering, or applied mathematics, with experience in computer science and/or information science. Students who will have degree conferred within six months are encouraged to apply.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Candidate must be a US citizen.
- Candidates must be able to obtain a TOP SECRET/SCI level security clearance.
- Candidates must pass a drug screen/background check
applicants must be willing to relocate to greater Albuquerque, NM area