Nuclear Technology Detection - Nuclear and Radiation Threat Detection Post-Doctoral Fellow
The Nuclear and Radiation Threat Detection
Post-Doctoral Fellow will support basic research and development at the Defense
Threat Reduction Agency’s (DTRA) Nuclear Technologies Department (NT) within
the DTRA Research and Development Directorate (RD). The Post-Doctoral Fellow
will report to the Division Chief and research managers for the Nuclear
Detection Division (RD-NTD), and be assigned a Mentor within RD-NTD. The work
conducted will help advance fundamental knowledge of detection and
characterization of potential nuclear threats. This position focuses on
concepts which include not only methods to directly detect gammas and neutrons,
but also alternative sensing methods.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with DTRA/RD-NTD 6.1 (basic research)
management and leadership
• Investigate scientific or technological areas of
interest under guidance of a Mentor
• This is not a bench research position -
activities are focused on support of DoD 6.1 program management.
o Assist in the development of research alliances and strategies
o Assist in evaluation of proposals, research
findings, and portfolio activities
o Assist in the management of grants and other research
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
• Flexibility at learning and reviewing concepts
beyond a narrow specialty
• Knowledge of nuclear physics and/or nuclear engineering
• Radiation detection and measurement
• Modeling and simulation
• Strong mathematical coursework
• Evidence of depth of analytical thinking
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Candidates must have a Ph.D or equivalent in applied
physics, nuclear science/engineering, or physics.
(students who will have degree conferred within six months are encouraged to apply).
Eligibility & Requirements
• Candidate must be a US citizen.
• Candidates must be able to obtain a SECRET level
• Candidates must pass a drug screen/background
Location: Fort Belvoir, VA
(applicants must be willing to relocate to greater Washington, DC area).
Term: 1-3 years
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $90,000.00 /year