Nuclear Technology Detection
The Nuclear and Radiation Threat Detection Post-Doctoral Fellow will support basic research and development at the Defense Threat Reduction Agency’s (DTRA) Nuclear Technologies Department (NT) within the DTRA Research and Development Directorate (RD). The Post-Doctoral Fellow will report to the Division Chief and research managers for the Nuclear Detection Division (RD-NTD), and be assigned a Mentor within RD-NTD. The work conducted will help advance fundamental knowledge of detection and characterization of potential nuclear threats. This position focuses on concepts which include not only methods to directly detect gammas and neutrons, but also alternative sensing methods.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with DTRA/RD-NTD 6.1 (basic research) management and leadership
- Investigate scientific or technological areas of interest under guidance of a Mentor
- This is not a bench research position - activities are focused on support of DoD 6.1 program management.
Assist in the development of research alliances and strategies
Assist in evaluation of proposals, research findings, and portfolio activities
Assist in the management of grants and other research investment vehicles
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Flexibility at learning and reviewing concepts beyond a narrow specialty
- Knowledge of nuclear physics and/or nuclear engineering
- Radiation detection and measurement
- Modeling and simulation
- Strong mathematical coursework
- Evidence of depth of analytical thinking
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Candidates must have a Ph.D or equivalent in applied physics, nuclear science/engineering, or physics. (students who will have degree conferred within six months are encouraged to apply).
Eligibility & Requirements
- Candidate must be a US citizen.
- Candidates must be able to obtain a SECRET level security clearance.
- Candidates must pass a drug screen/background check
Fort Belvoir, VA
(applicants must be willing to relocate to greater Washington, DC area).