Nuclear Technology Detection - Nuclear Threat Detection Data Science Post-Doctoral Fellow
The Nuclear Threat Detection Data Science Post-Doctoral Fellow will support applied research and development at the Defense Threat Reduction Agency’s (DTRA) Nuclear Technologies Department (NT) within the DTRA Research and Development Directorate (RD). The Post-Doctoral Fellow will report to the Division Chief and research managers for the Nuclear Detection Division (RD-NTD), and be assigned a Mentor within RD-NTD. The work conducted will help advance knowledge of detection and characterization of potential nuclear threats using advanced techniques of data science to search for signatures of threats. This position focuses on concepts to develop methods that employ any observables available. For example (but not limited to!) visual appearance, patterns of activity, chemical traces.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with DTRA/RD-NTD 6.2 (applied research) management and leadership
- Investigate scientific or technological areas of interest under guidance of a Mentor
- This is not a bench research position- activities are focused on support of DoD 6.2 program management
- Assist in the development of research alliances and strategies
- Assist in evaluation of proposals, research findings, and portfolio activities
- Assist in the management of research investments
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Flexibility at learning and reviewing concepts beyond a narrow specialty
- Knowledge in areas of data science, artificial intelligence
- Modeling and simulation; machine learning; data mining; big data
- Strong mathematical coursework
- Willingness to apply knowledge to other disciplines; e.g., nuclear science
- Evidence of depth of analytical thinking
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Candidates must have a Ph.D. or equivalent in applied mathematics, computer science, information science, or a related area.
Students who will have degree conferred within six months are encouraged to apply.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Candidate must be a US citizen.
- Candidates must be able to obtain a SECRET level security clearance.
- Candidates must pass a drug screen/background check
Fort Belvoir, VA
applicants must be willing to relocate to greater Washington, DC area